Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Healthy Diva Hummus


I love hummus- it is something that I could eat every day. My favorite kind to purchase is the spicy hummus from Trader Joe's. I don't understand why it is so expensive to buy so I decided to try and make some homemade hummus over the weekend. It turned out fabulous!

I used a generic "classic hummus" recipe, but then added some additional ingredients for an extra kick.
Here is the original recipe that I got off the back of a lentil cracker box:

Classic Hummus
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup tahini
2 cloves of garlic, halved
1 TBSP olive oil
2 cans cooked garbanzo beans, drained
1/2 cup freshly squeezed lemon
1 pinch paprika

Place all the ingredients in a food processor & blend until smooth. Drizzle with olive oil.

Here is my recipe:
Healthy Diva Hummus

1/2 cup tahini sauce (from Trader Joe's)
2 cloves of garlic, halved
1 TBSP olive oil
2 cans cooked garbanzo beans, drained
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper (next time I am going to try a roasted red bell pepper)
1 freshly squeezed lemon
1/2 paprika (I also sprinkled an extra pinch on top of my hummus when finished)
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp salt

Place all the ingredients in a food processor & blend until smooth. Drizzle with olive oil. ENJOY!!!

Healthy Diva Hummus!

My new favorite things to spread my hummus on. I also like to dip red bell pepper strips & celery in it. YUM!

I loved how much hummus I was able to make for super cheap! This batch of hummus will last me all week when one container of my spicy hummus from Trader Joe's might stretch for 2 days. I am now eager to create more hummus concoctions!

Questions for you:

What is your favorite hummus brand? 
Have you ever tried making your own? 
What do you like to put your hummus on?

--Tasha

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments & inspiration